Tuesday 15 April 2014

In a survey of 60 people, it was found that 25 people read newspaper H, 26 read newspaper T, 26 read newspaper I, 9 read both H and I,11 read both H and T, 8 read both T and I, 3 read all three newspapers. Find:

In a survey of 60 people, it was found that 25 people read newspaper H, 26 read newspaper T, 26 read newspaper I, 9 read both H and I,11 read both H and T, 8 read both T and I, 3 read all three newspapers. Find:

(i) the number of people who read at least one of the newspapers.
(ii) the number of people who read exactly one newspaper.
Answer
(i) the number of people who read at least one of the newspapers.
Let H,T and I be the set of people who read newspaper H, T and C respectively.
n(H) = 25, n(T) = 26,n(I) = 26, n(H ∩ I) = 9, n(H ∩ T) = 11, n(T ∩ I) = 8 and n(H ∩ T ∩ I) = 3
Use formula
n(H ∪ T ∪ I) = n(H) + n(T) + n(I) - n(H ∩ T) - n(T ∩ I) - n(I ∩ H) + n(H ∩ T ∩ I)
Plug the values we get
= 25 + 26 + 26 - 11 - 8 - 9 + 3
= 52
The number of people who read at least one of the newspapers = n(H ∪ T ∪ I) = 52
(ii)The number of people who read exactly one newspaper
= n(H ∪ T ∪ I) - n(H ∩ T) - n(T ∩ I) - n(I ∩ H) + 2 × n(H ∩ T ∩ I)
Plug the values we get
= 52 -11 -8 -9 + 2× 3
= 52 -28 + 6
= 58 – 28
= 30
Hence, 30 people read exactly one newspaper.

16 comments:

  1. Your answers are easy to understand! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your answers are easy to understand! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, can be easily understood...thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice, can be easily understood...thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh ho.. where You live..
    Ok

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have given Wrong answer of 2ñd Part... Please tell me

    ReplyDelete
  7. Exactly one waley questions me yhi formula use krrna hai that u have used

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank u .....becoz I expected the exact answer...helped me to overcome my hardships....ur help indeed would help others too

    ReplyDelete
  9. In question 2 why 2*3 is done???

    ReplyDelete